Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My Shoulder Hurts. . . .

Ever since I was involved in a bike crash a few years ago and sprained my right AC joint I’ve been prone to more aches and pains along the front of the shoulder.  It probably doesn’t help that I ask more of my shoulders than most given the amount of manual therapy I do with patients.  I admit it – I’m no different than most of my patient’s when it comes to rehab exercises . . .  I don’t like doing them.   I particularly despise the basic ER/IR exercises for the rotator cuff, but the fact of the matter is it helps.

Frankly, I’m tired of listening to myself complain and I’m looking forward to plenty of cross country skiing this fall so I decided to take a bit of my own advice and do something about it.  

Below is a modified exercise to improve the strength/endurance of the ER (external rotators) of the rotator cuff in a more functional position that will also tie in the hips and core (key areas for also for XC skiing and many other sports).   The rotator cuff is a group of 4 muscles that cover both the front and back of the shoulder blade (aka: scapula).   These muscles are very intimate with the shoulder joint acting as a “cuff” to stabilize the ball and socket joint throughout its 180° range of motion.   Weakness in the rotator cuff may result from old injuries, repetitive use, over-head throwing, typing (elbow unsupported), etc.   Keeping the rotator cuff muscles in peak condition is one of the best things you can do to improve athletic performance and prevent shoulder and neck injuries. 

I adopted a modified side-bridge position to help you (and myself) get the most bang out of your buck.  The purpose of this position is to facilitate neuromuscular control and stability in a controlled environment that easily carries over to an athletic position.  

No comments:

Post a Comment